Thursday, January 28, 2010

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread ~ my healthified version

It still amazes me that my kiddos actually request this quick bread, I mean it actually has the name of a vegetable in the title :)... I found the original recipe in one of my Taste of Home Magazines ~ I made a few adjustments to "healthify" it a bit, so I could feel good about serving it once (or three times) a week for breakfast ~
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread

3 cups whole wheat flour (replaced the white flour)
2 cups sucanat (replaced the white sugar)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 cup unsweetened applesauce (orig called for 1/2 c applesauce + 1/2 c veg oil)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, beat eggs, applesauce and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in zucchini and choco chips. Divide batter between 2 greased 9-in x 5-in loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 mins, then remove to wire rack to cool. Makes 2 yummy loaves, perfect for kiddos who wouldn't normally eat zucchini ~ but just can't seem to resist this :)

0 comments:

 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs