Friday, April 1, 2011

The Homeschool Mother’s Journal ~ Entry #10

The Homeschool Chick

In my life this week…

It’s been a cold, rainy week around here…we got a taste of spring a couple weeks ago and we want it back :).  The new puppy has been keeping us busy, she has become a lot more comfortable with us {read: lots of puppy chewing and nipping to deal with :)}…but we are all enjoying her.

I also have been working hard on the B90 Days program {reading the Bible in 90 days} and I finished it up this morning!  I actually read through the entire Bible in 90 days!  I am so excited to have accomplished this :)  Now I want to read through the New Testament at a much slower pace and really study them.

In our homeschool this week

The kiddos had their last art class this week…they were very sad to see this fun class end.  But their art teacher said that she will be having more sessions later this year, so we hope to sign them up for another class soon.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

We had a full week last week, so I was very glad for a bit of a reprieve in our schedule this week.  Plus the cold, wet weather makes going out not so much fun :).  However, we did make it to art class and the library.  And this weekend promises to be full as ds9 has baseball practice and a birthday party to go to on Saturday.

My favorite thing this week was…

The fact that I completed the B90 Days program!  I must admit that I have never read through the entire Bible.  In fact, before beginning B90 Days, I had been reading {at my own pace} through the Bible for 2 years…and I had finally reached Isaiah :0. 

What’s working/not working for us…

Rain, sleet, snow…all of which we have had this past week…where has spring gone…and will it return soon?

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…

I am really looking forward to our local homeschool convention {it’s coming up in 2 weeks!}.  This year I only have a couple of items on my “check it out” list, two of the bigger ones are IEW and Teaching Textbooks.  Anyone have any comments to share regarding these curriculums…I’m all ears :)

A photo to share…

IMG_1036 Dd7 is our middle child, she has red hair and two brothers {read: no sisters}…she is very artistic, has a very vivid imagination and can be quite dramatic at times :).  So I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised when she asked for some paper so she could make a memorial for her broken Polly Pocket doll {that had to be thrown in the trash}.

In case you can’t read what the memorial says:

She died when taking off shoes.  Dec 25, 2010 – Mar 31, 2011.  Name: Polly Pocket, Hair Color: blond and loves to swim. She loves the color pink. 

These kiddos definitely keep me smiling :)

5 comments:

Becca said...

I used Teaching Textbooks for Pre-Algebra for my son when he was home in middle school. He really loved it because he could watch the DVD and do the problems himself. He liked the independence. I would help when he wanted help. I think Teaching Textbooks are perfect for students who want to do it themselves which mine all do. :D [And I do plan to use TT Math 3 and Math 4 for my girls next year.]

Todd, Tia, & Tyler said...

Love the memorial! When my oldest was about 3 she went out and buried her doll because she said it had died. We had no idea where she got the idea to bury it as she had never been to a funeral. Anyway, children are very imaginative and keep life fun!

Nikki said...

The photo and story you shared about your daughter and her Polly Pocket sounds like something my girls would do. Too funny!

Eileen Marie Miller said...

The Polly Pocket story is so sweet! I live in Maryland too! Hi neighbor!

We've used Saxon all our lives (except in first thru third). One year my daughter switched to Teaching Textbooks and wanted to go back to Saxon the next year. My sixth grader is doing great with Saxon this year. I just try to keep on top of grading, only marking the mistakes wrong, after every two lessons. Then she corrects the mistakes before she starts her next lesson. She works very independently. I just help during her corrections most of the time if she has questions. She does not get too many wrong. Saxon build an excellent WORK ETHIC into children.

We use IEW and we love it. If you look at my website you can see how we've started out writing and phased into IEW. Summarizing is a fun way to start kids off on the right foot with writing. The CD's for IEW are very good and enjoyable too. The instructor is funny and also brilliant.

Allison said...

Congratulations on finishing your 90 days! I am on day 9, and I am enjoying it so much - I never thought I could do it, but now that I am, I love it. Sounds like a great week!

 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs