Sunday, August 8, 2010

Our Homeschool Room (or rooms)

untitled

This week is School Room Week on the Not Back to School Blog Hop.  In our case, we have school rooms.  Believe me, I have tried to condense all of our school stuff into one room…I have reorganized books, moved shelves, but neither our school stuff, nor us can stay in just one room :)

First up is our main school room (this was labeled a dining room in our house plans, but it hasn’t seen a dining room table for many years). 

100_6914We have three bookshelves in this room right now.  The first bookshelf is where I keep the books that we are currently using (history, read-alouds, science, readers, etc.) .  The second bookshelf holds preschool items (toys, games, books) and miscellaneous reference items.  The third shelf houses our nature supplies and nature finds, favorite picture books, and more readers.

100_6915 100_6927 100_6926

In this room I have also created a calendar/morning time area.  Most of the items in this area were inspired by Jolanthe at Homeschool Creations.

100_6919In another corner of the room we have a little table where I keep drawing and writing supplies.100_6916Moving on to the living room…dh recently set up a little computer nook in one corner, now I can have one or two kiddos working on a computer game {educational of course ;)} while I work with another kiddo at the kitchen table (right next to the living room) ~ and I can supervise them all at the same time!  If you take another look at the close-up of our computer area, you’ll see that the kiddos have already made this space their own :) 

100_6897 100_6898

And in our basement I have set up workboxes and desks for the two older kiddos…and a table with art and writing supplies at the ready.

100_6904 100_6922 100_6905

I even set up a little area for ds3 (he refuses to be left out)…I am still looking for a little table for this space…100_6906

My dh knows how much I LOVE bookshelves, so when we finished our basement, him and his dad built bookshelves along one entire wall {I really love that guy :)}…I use these shelves to store our games, lego sets, building blocks, puzzles, reference books, next year’s curriculum, anything that I want to have easily accessible for learning.

100_6923 100_6924

I could also add a picture of our kitchen table (where the kiddos do math while I am preparing lunch), our living room couch (where we enjoy many read-aloud sessions), the living room rocking chair (where I snuggle with individual kiddos for their “read to mom” sessions)…I could probably take a picture of just about every room in our house~but I won’t :)

I hope you enjoyed this peek into our school rooms…be sure to check out more school rooms at the Not Back to School Blog Hop!

19 comments:

Trina said...

I love you work box system and the Art line above their desk. I may need to use the Art line this year with my girls. Thanks so much for sharing and have a blessed week.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love your space! So cute!

Marsha said...

Whole house homeschooling! I love it! Thanks for the tour.

Carrie said...

LOVE your space and REALLY LOVE all your bookcases!!!

I would love to have a place for art stuff to be left out all the time! ;)

Hope you have a wonderful new year!

Amy said...

I love how you do school all over the house! And one can never have too many bookshelves, right?

Jenilee said...

wow you have some great homeschool spaces! I love it! :)

Tina Hollenbeck said...

I'm like you - we "do school" all around our house! I could even have photographed my girls' bedroom, as the older often retreats up there when it's too loud for her downstairs. :^) Hope you can stop by my place (#40 on this week's list): http://tinahollenbeck.blogspot.com/2010/08/not-back-to-school-blog-hop-school-room.html.

Lora @ my blessed life said...

I agree~you can never have too many bookshelves/cases!! Looks like you are enjoying school at your house!

Catherine said...

I love all your ideas! It really is amazing how it all begins to take over every corner of the house! We have bookshelves everywhere, and they still overflow.

I hope you have a wonderful and blessed school year. I'm already enjoying TOS, and am looking forward to September when school officially starts here in NY.

Monica said...

Love your school room.. it looks bright. Stopping by for the blog hop from
discovertheirgifts.blogspot.com
Monica

Monica said...

Wendi
Forgot to mention.. I ended up buying 3 rolls of 75 sets of velcro dots from Amazon (velcro brand). They were $9 each and free shipping.
I also put a request into Jolanthe at Relevant Designs for my blog... yours looks great! Any suggestions?
Monica
discovertheirgifts.blogspot.com

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

I am jealous of all your bookshelves. I have none!!

Unknown said...

It all looks great and very inviting. I can so relate to the kiddos making themselves home at the computer lol. I am constantly finding various lego creations and such to keep me company when I am on. Hope you have a great year!

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Love it. Looks great. And I am a bit addicted to bookshelves, too. Mine were a great find at IKEA!

A Stable Beginning said...

Thanks for letting me take a peek inside your home, what great spaces you have. Have a great year!

Stef said...

Wedi - I just love all those books!! Definitely a great homeschooling spot!

Stef
http://laytonfamilyjoy.com

Kara said...

I'm like you...it's definitely NOT confined to one room, LOL! And really, I like it that way. We've got multiple shelves in multiple areas...even in my closet! We used to have those exact end tables and the matching coffee table that your "computer nook" is on...in fact, I think we still have one in the attic!

Corrie said...

I think my daughter would love an art line for her creations! Thanks for sharing your room!

Amy @ Jesus, Coffee & Fitness said...

Love your spaces for schooling! I hope you have a great year...thanks for sharing!

 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs