Friday, February 18, 2011

Homeschool Mother’s Journal ~ Entry #5

The Homeschool Chick

In my life this week…

I am not sick and the kiddos are healthy again {for now}…but poor dh is suffering from a cold or allergies :).  But still, it’s nice for the majority of us to be healthy :) 

We’ve also been having some awesome spring-like weather around here for the past couple of days…which means we’ve been able to spend lots of time outside running off lots of kid energy :)

In our homeschool this week…

We’re still plugging away at the basics.  Both dd6 and ds9 finished up math light units, ds9 crossed another book off his reading list, and we are almost finished with our latest read aloud {The Apprentice}. 

This week I also introduced a couple new resources to the kiddos.  I am trying a new handwriting program with ds9 {he’s had a hard time with the one we’ve been using ever since switching over to cursive}.  We also did our first couple lessons in a new worldview curriculum {this is a review product} and a week’s worth of lessons with Kinderbach {another review product}.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

We finally made it back to the library this week after a three week hiatus due to colds, sore throats, and the cold weather :).  While we were there, dd6 received her very own library card! 

Last night dh took ds9 to a local college basketball game…and even though the home team lost, ds9 had a blast!

My favorite thing this week was…

I found my favorite dark chocolate at the grocery store!  A little background info…I developed a slight addiction :) to dark chocolate when I was pregnant with ds4, and after trying many, many dark chocolates, I found the perfect one for me. 

Then last year the company changed the recipe…and it was not a good change IMHO.  Ever since then I have been trying to find a replacement.  So I was delighted when I walked into the grocery store and found my old favorite on the shelf and it did not have the big “New Recipe” banner across the top. 

What’s working/not working for us…

Computer time…it’s working and not working.  Right I have a bunch of online resources that I am reviewing…an online reading program for dds6, an online educational site for both d9 and dd6, an online reading readiness game site for ds4, and an online music program for all three kiddos.  The kiddos are lovin’ all of these resources, and they are learning some new things…but it also means that they are on the computer an awful lot! 

Granted, the kiddos don’t watch much tv and they don’t play with any handheld game systems or other video games…but lately it feels like the computer has taken over.

Any suggestions for helping me limit the amount of screentime my kiddos are getting?

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…

Is it spring break yet :) ?  The weather we have been having here for the past two days has made me so ready for spring…I told my dh last night that I am not sure I can handle more winter after having a couple of warm, sunny days :)

A photo to share…

IMG_0860 Making the most of our warm weather :)

7 comments:

Crisc said...

I can smell Spring coming, it's almost here! Stopping by from the hop =)

Anonymous said...

Love the picture! We are ready for spring too.... the birds are chirping but very little sun. Enjoy your sunshine

Mary Prather said...

Chocolate is always a great find in my week, too!! We used to have little slips of paper I would hand out for "media time" each week. They said things like "one thirty minute show" or "fifteen minutes of computer time". They could give me their slips whenever they wanted and redeem their time, but when they were gone, they were gone. It worked very well.

Unknown said...

I love the pictures of the kids running with the bubbles. So cute! I am new following from the homeschool journal. I really enjoyed reading about your week. I can't wait to see how the reviews turn out. Enjoy the warm weather! Have a great weekend.

Wendy Kaye said...

I love the bubbles! Awesome photo!....We are reviewing most of the same computer programs, mostly my youngest, anyway. He's loving his computer time! I am thankful that each session from each program is pretty short.....You could break up their computer time by giving physical exercise type breaks in between each program, perhaps.

Zelda said...

Stopped by from homeschool journal.

I've just sent you a Blog Award - come see it at http://homeschoolescapade.blogspot.com

Catherine said...

I'm glad everyone was feeling well this week, and oh! Chocolate! That's always wonderful! I wish I had an answer for the computer. I use a timer. When it goes off, I start my timer, for every minute they stay on past the buzzer, they give me a minute of sit-ups, push ups or planks.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs