Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Advent Reading

We’ve got a couple of resources that we’re using for our Advent reading this year.jotham

Last year we used Jotham’s Journey: A Storybook for Advent as our family read-aloud for Advent.  Our family loved this book!  So this year we are reading from another book in the same series during Advent, Batholomew’s Passage: A Family Story for Advent.  Dh reads a chapter from Bartholamew’s Passage every evening before we tuck the kiddos into bed…nothing like a good, rousing adventure story to get you ready for bed :).

{Just so you know, we have Tabitha’s Travels: A Family Story for Advent waiting on our bookshelf for next year :)}bartholomewI also wanted to add a bit of Advent reading into our homeschool day {since dh has the evening covered}, so I decided to do what I’ve been wanting to do for a long time…add in some Jesse Tree fun.

I downloaded and printed Ann Voskamp’s free Jesse Tree devotional, and we began our reading today.  I hope to also do something a bit crafty with the Jesse Tree ornaments that she included in the back of the devotional.

jesse tree

Along with the Jesse Tree devotional, I will be reading one chapter each day from The Jesse Tree by Geraldine McCaughrean.  I have read mixed reviews about this book, but it looks like something we will enjoy ~ I’ll have to let you know what we think once we’ve finished it.

 

4 comments:

Brandy Vencel said...

We have done two day of McCaughrean's Jesse Tree book, and so far so good. I DID download Ann Voskamp's book, but we're saving it for next year. I'll probably be writing a review when we are all done so far. So far the theme (of a grouchy old man and a little boy) reminds me of The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey.

TerriG said...

Hey- We are doing Bartholamew's passage also. We did Jotham's Journey last year. What a nail biter, but great fun for my boys.

Monica said...

I have The Jesse Tree and Tabitha's travels. I'll have to order the other books for next year. We just put our Jesse Tree up on the door last night. I hope your kids enjoy their studies around the birth of Christ.

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

We have been reading Jotham's Journey and we just love it!

 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs