Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Advent Reading

We’ve got a couple of resources that we’re using for our Advent reading this year.jotham

Last year we used Jotham’s Journey: A Storybook for Advent as our family read-aloud for Advent.  Our family loved this book!  So this year we are reading from another book in the same series during Advent, Batholomew’s Passage: A Family Story for Advent.  Dh reads a chapter from Bartholamew’s Passage every evening before we tuck the kiddos into bed…nothing like a good, rousing adventure story to get you ready for bed :).

{Just so you know, we have Tabitha’s Travels: A Family Story for Advent waiting on our bookshelf for next year :)}bartholomewI also wanted to add a bit of Advent reading into our homeschool day {since dh has the evening covered}, so I decided to do what I’ve been wanting to do for a long time…add in some Jesse Tree fun.

I downloaded and printed Ann Voskamp’s free Jesse Tree devotional, and we began our reading today.  I hope to also do something a bit crafty with the Jesse Tree ornaments that she included in the back of the devotional.

jesse tree

Along with the Jesse Tree devotional, I will be reading one chapter each day from The Jesse Tree by Geraldine McCaughrean.  I have read mixed reviews about this book, but it looks like something we will enjoy ~ I’ll have to let you know what we think once we’ve finished it.

 

4 comments:

Brandy Afterthoughts said...

We have done two day of McCaughrean's Jesse Tree book, and so far so good. I DID download Ann Voskamp's book, but we're saving it for next year. I'll probably be writing a review when we are all done so far. So far the theme (of a grouchy old man and a little boy) reminds me of The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey.

TerriG said...

Hey- We are doing Bartholamew's passage also. We did Jotham's Journey last year. What a nail biter, but great fun for my boys.

Monica said...

I have The Jesse Tree and Tabitha's travels. I'll have to order the other books for next year. We just put our Jesse Tree up on the door last night. I hope your kids enjoy their studies around the birth of Christ.

Timeless and Treasured, Photography by Heather said...

We have been reading Jotham's Journey and we just love it!

 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs