Saturday, October 30, 2010

Praying Mantis

Praying Mantis

by Mary Ann Hoberman

That praying mantis over there

is really not engaged in prayer.

That praying mantis that you see

Is really preying (with an e).

It preys upon the garter snake.

It preys upon the bumblebee.

It preys upon the cabbage worm,

The wasp, the fly, the moth, the flea.

(And sometimes, if  its need is great,

It even preys upon its mate.)

With prey and preying both so endless,

It tends to end up rather friendless

And seldom is commended much

Except by gardeners and such.

Taken from The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems

IMG_0305

Last weekend, I was enjoying a warm fall afternoon {watching the kiddos play and planning our school week} on my front porch when I looked over and noticed this praying mantis hanging out next to me.

IMG_0312Of course I ran into the house to grab my camera…hoping he {or she ?} would be waiting for me when I returned.

IMG_0314The kiddos ran over to see what I was doing…and still the mantis hung around…

IMG_0309

I love it when nature study comes to my front door :)

0 comments:

 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs