Thursday, April 16, 2009

Book Basket ~ My 7-year old's free reading list

I've been wanting/needing to update my 7-year old's free reading book basket. He's a voracious reader - and I want to keep him stocked with quality literature to choose from.

The problem I am having with finding books for him is that he is at a tricky reading level. He's past the Frog & Toad books ~ he can finish those very quickly, but he is not quite ready to read "Little House" books (and others like them) on his own. Actually, I think he could read them, but I think their length and lack of many illustrations intimidates him.


So I pulled out my Sonlight Curriculum and my Veritas Press catalogs (we don't use either of these curriculums, but I love using their catalogs for book ideas) in search of book suggestions. I chose these two catalogs because I knew their catalogs contained books that I consider "rich" and wholesome.



So here's the list I came up with:


I gathered the ones that were already on our bookshelves and placed them in a separate basket. The titles that we don't own are on my library reserve list. As he finishes them, I plan to add reviews so that I can have a record for the future (if I don't write it down, I will definitely forget :))

Check out what others are reading at the Happy Housewife's Book Basket series.

8 comments:

Laura Lee said...

Love to see my fellow bibliophiles!! Love the idea of using other curriculum reading lists to fill in those gaps we sometimes find. :D

Amy said...

I may have to try Encyclopedia Brown and the Boxcar Children books with my 5yo son soon. These just-past-frog&toad but not quite Little House suggestions are super helpful - thanks!

Tracey said...

Great list! We have read a good many of those - the girls love Balto. I also go through those curriculum catalogs to find good books that I can locate at our library.

Amanda said...

Great idea to use the catalog to pull ideas from.

The Happy Housewife said...

Great list, we just checked out the McBroom book, but haven't had a chance to read it! My kids loved the Boxcar Children and Encyclopedia Brown. I am going to have to check out some of the other books on your list! Thanks for sharing your books!
Toni
http://thehappyhousewife.com

Tori said...

Awesome list. Since your son(s?) like mystery, I recommend (because my daughter loves them): The Magic Treehouse series, A to Z Mysteries (Ron Roy) series, and Capitol Mysteries series (Ron Roy).

I think my daughter and your son are about the same reading level because the Little House books are a little too long (and not enough illustrations) for her to make her way through them with good commitment and interest the whole way. She did read one of them, but now I read them to all my girls. :)

I definitely need to check out the other local library because the one closest to me doesn't have Encyclopedia Brown and I've heard good things about that series. I think I definitely will now that I see it on your list!

Wendi said...

Tori et al :) My son loves the A to Z mystery series, I think he has pretty much read all of the ones on our library's shelves :) And he's just starting into the Magic Treehouse books - lovin' those too.

Thanks for the reminder about the Capital Mysteries, he read a few of them a while back and then I think we just forgot about the series. We'll have to check more out next time we go to the library.

Kiy said...

I loved The Boxcar Children series when I was a kid, wow that's an old series. :) That series alone is what inspired my love of all things mysteries and I really feel set the course of my love of books.

We aren't at this level yet (our little gal is just 26 months) but I made a note of these!

Cheers, Kiy

 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs