Thursday, April 23, 2009

The MACHE Convention

One convention down, one (or maybe two) to go...

This past weekend, my husband and I took our 7-year old on a date ~ after dropping the two younger ones at Grandma and Papa's for a day of fun, we headed over to our small local airport for some plane-watching and a bit of lunch.

From there it was a very short drive to our small local homeschool convention. This was the first year that we brought our son along ~ we thought he'd enjoy checking out the many books and toys (educational, of course!) on display.

When we arrived at the convention, my husband and son headed off on their own while I took my prepared list and began my browsing.

Here's what I brought home:













and a very cute set of little nature readers


I also picked up a couple of miscellaneous items...but I am pleased to say that I stuck to my list.

After speaking with one vendor (and veteran homeschooling mom) I decided against adding a spelling program for now, we'll continue to work on copywork and revisit spelling when planning his third grade year.

I was not able to find a copy of StartWrite, so I plan on ordering that program on-line at some point.

There are still some things on my list that I was not able to purchase this time around, so they will remain on the list for our next convention - less than 2 weeks away :)

Oh, and in case you were wondering if the guys found anything interesting at the convention...



yep, my son is the proud owner of his first civil war style cap gun!

2 comments:

Amy said...

How interesting...
We own the CLP Nature readers and plan to start in book one this fall.
I have First Language Lessons and can't decide whether to start with it this fall, January, or next fall. (My son will be 6 in August). My opinion changes weekly!
I have also considered the Dubay Italics series. My opinion on that seems to change a lot too. I would love to hear how they work out for you!

Wendi said...

Amy ~ We love the Italics series here, I've used book A & B with my oldest. The only negative I've found so far is that it is hard to find free copywork online for him (most online worksheets are in regular manuscript font) ~ so I plan to purchase StartWrite so that I can make our own worksheets.


I just got First Language Lessons and I hope to begin using it soon. It does say that it's for 1st and 2nd grade, so I guess we're starting a bit late ~ but that's the beauty of homeschooling, right :)

We love the CLP Nature Readers! Book 5 was the only one we were missing...We currently use these readers as a book that he (7yo) and I take turns reading aloud together (he reads a paragraph, I read a paragraph).

 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs